Tuesday 13 January 2009

The typical Australian - as I see him....

Norwegians are born with cross country skies on their feet - Australians are born with a surfboard. Considering Australian beaches you can understand that. Seems like the typical Australian has even several surfboards - who can blame them: I have 7 sleeping bags. In order to transport the surfboards the typical car is a 4WD and the second most popular sports is driving along sand tracks I would not even consider a good hiking track. More than once I was having a nice little break on the track and had to jump up and run for my life because a 4WD was coming along. Beside surfboards the 4WD's contain lots of coolers. The coolers contain lots of beer (I think Australians beat Germans in drinking beer) and steaks. There are barbecues everywhere. Every picnic site has a gas barbecue. For me a "barbie" is a doll - here it is a barbecue. And Australians are very fond of them. Probably because here they can combine all their hobbies: Hop into your 4WD, drive along some beaches, go surfing and then have a barbie and drink beer. Live is easy here...

No comments: