Tuesday 6 April 2010

Culture Shock

I have hiked the first 53 miles of the AZT now and suffer from severe culture shock!

First of all: There are mountains here - real mountains! The first day took me up to 9,000 ft (almost 3.000 m). I thought I was in good shape, but an elevation gain of 3,000 ft (1.000 m) on my first day was a bit much...

Second, there is no water here! Ok, I had to hike through snow, but it is dry, very dry and no humidity. My nose is very dry and congested, I symptom I know from other dry high-altitude hikes. The dryness even seems to change the perspective: Everything seems to be so close...

Third, I am hiking on real trail here! No wading, no boardwalks, no road walks: Single-file trail!!!! I was almost happy to hike 3 miles on a road into my first trail town, Patagonia....

No comments: